Friday, April 16, 2010

The Pursuit (part 1)

God is good. All the time.

I want to tell you the story of how God pursued me. This is not your normal pursuit. I'm not talking about a man's pursuit of a woman or even God's pursuit unto salvation. I've been a Christian since I was 14. This is a different kind of pursit.

Let me tell you a little bit about myself. My name is Tiffany. I am 23 years old. I graduated from UNT last May and still reside in Denton, Texas. I have been a part of the wonderful Denton Bible Church college group for 5 years.

When I was in college, I did the normal "change-my-major-at-least-once" thing. I went in as Theatre and came out as History. For a couple of years, I firmly believed that I would work in a museum. I loved museums and I loved history. I didn't love school, however, and it was going to take an act of God for me to ever get a Master's. But I thought I could be happy working in a museum.

During my junior and senior years, I occasionally judged high school speech and debate tournaments. During the Christmas break of my senior year, I was judging a round of Original Oratory. This is where the kids write a speech about an interesting facet of their life. One kid talked about living in the shadow of his cooler older brother. The one speech that stood out to me was a girl talking about starting ballet at the age of 12. You may think, "Why is this important?" Trust me. This is the catalyst for my whole story. This young high school student looked past social norms and began her love affair with ballet late in life (for a ballerina, that is). She worked hard for it, because it was important to her. She spoke about finding your true passions. Not the ones that society expects, but the ones you have deep down inside. I began to wonder, sitting there in that high school classroom, "What are my true passions? What do I love?"

This is the cool part. God answered! He revealed to me my love for administration and missions. The wheels began turning. God just turned my life upside down only 5 months before I was supposed to graduate. He told me that I wasn't going to work in a museum. I felt that a switch to Business would be a bad idea my last semester, so I finished my degree in History. I had no idea how to combine my newly revealed loves. I talked to everyone about it. They were all really excited about God working in me, but they didn't have any answers.

I graduated with honors on May 16, 2009. But I still had no plan in sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment