Friday, December 24, 2010

Some encouraging moments

One of the things that has helped me get through this long period of support raising has been the unexpected gifts from those you would never guess would or could give. I would like to use this update to share with you these encouraging moments that have kept me going in the last few weeks.

The most meaningful surprise gift was from an old childhood friend of mine. I had been meaning to ask her but I've found it difficult to ask semi-close friends and family. (That's an issue for another day. Anyone with advice on how to get out of my own way would be appreciated.) A few weeks ago when I was looking at my account, I noticed that this friend had given $1000. It was such a surprise, a wonderful, beautiful, encouraging surprise!

My last update was about my trip to College Station. While I was there, I stayed with a young couple from the church having the missions conference. Once I got my missions brochures in the mail, I sent them a thank you and a brochure, asking them to keep me in their prayers. A few days later I received an email from Crusade saying they had signed up to give $100 a month. I hadn't even met the wife or talked to the guy longer than 5 minutes!

One of the most humbling experiences is asking for money. Something even more humbling is receiving a gift from someone you know is giving all they can afford. Like the poor widow in Mark 12, these people give all they have. I assumed Christmas would be a good time for support raising, a lot of people in a giving mood or at least looking for a tax deduction. Instead I have been given the smallest gifts from the biggest hearts. From receiving a $75 check from a loving family to passing a college friend on the street and having her offer me $5. These people are glad that I am doing this and want so much to help. They give all they can freely, even if it's just $5.

I pray y'all understand the true meaning of Christmas today. Whether you are giving to your family or to a missionary, give with a heart of love remembering what has been given to you.

But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents. Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.”
- Mark 12:42-44

Merry Christmas!
To give, please call me (817-586-8092) or visit:
https://give.ccci.org/give/View/0634086

No comments:

Post a Comment